Monday, July 12, 2004

July 12, 2004 KiKi Dr. Suspicious Person Uses Hand Held Mirror While Parked

9:00
A white male, approximate age 50, with a short blonde ponytail, went down Hodur Court in his blue vehicle and turned around. He parked at the corner of Kiki and Hodur.

As I walked past him, I looked in the car and at the driver and saw that he had a map in his right seat and was looking into a hand held rectangular mirror looking behind him. I found that a little strange. He appeared to be watching for something or somebody otherwise he would have used his rear view mirror I thought.

As I walked down Kiki toward Morello, I noticed 2 police cars, which further caught my eye. This fellow parked on Kiki definitely looked out of place, and I wondered if he was avoiding police or something like that, since he seemed to pull over so quickly to park behind a few neighbor’s vehicles in front of him.

I was enroute to a neighbor’s place on Morello so we could take a walk. The neighbor and I chatted for 10 or so minutes before returning for a walk down Kiki Dr. together. I felt the need to return to where that man was parked to see if he was still there as I had a gut feeling he was out of place. My plan was going to be to approach him to ask if I could be of assistance if he was lost.

At 9:15 my friend and I returned to Kiki and saw the man returning to his vehicle, although I don’t know which direction he may have walked from since he was right at his car door when we rounded the corner.

In any event, my friend and I approached his car from the passenger side window and motioned to him that we wanted to talk with him. He looked at us, clearly knowing we wanted to ask him about something and he took off rather quickly after a short hesitation.

We made note of his license plate and walked back to the police officer attending to that accident at the corner of Morello/Kiki, and gave him our noted information including the plate number. The officer agreed that the driver’s behavior was strange.

From my open garden gate, later that day, I noticed a young white male walking our court with a clipboard in hand. He walked our Hodur Court around 6:00 pm last night. I was out back in the garden and although my dog indicated someone was at my door, I neglected to answer, since I wasn’t expecting anyone and figured it was this fellow.

At 8pm, I saw this same male coming up Kiki from Valhalla area and he looked around Hodur and saw me again, but continued toward Morello. I have a no soliciting sign at my front door.

At 8:30 pm he returned down Kiki on the opposite side of the street and it was then that I approached him with my question of whether he had a permit to go door to door for sales or not. He defensively and with attitude said that he was collecting money for the Democratic Party and it was within his first amendment rights to do so.

Then On Tuesday July 13, 2004 (the next morning) morning at around 11:00 I saw a black male going door to door with his clipboard. He was leaving Kiki to go down Morello. I was enroute to the airport so I didn’t question him.

I just wanted to bring to your attention that the 3 soliciting and scouting incidents have been in the same exact area in the past 24 hours.

I don’t know if any of this is related (or not) to scouting out who is home and when or not, but wanted to raise your awareness levels in case something comes up shortly thereafter (like that last time we were heavily solicited.)

I would appreciate if those who answer the doors make these kids aware that we are a tight neighborhood who is watching for door-to-door solicitors without permits.

If we track solicitors by days/dates/times and then find crime follows shortly thereafter
, perhaps we can see correlations. The last flush of solicitors, were within days of many home and car break ins in those same areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment